Welcome to no 12 of 16 Reptile Roadshow
Reptile (not a Reptile but an important part of the Roadshow) Profiles – Chinchillas – celebrating 16 years of Reptile Parties and Events
1. Chinchillas are typically around 25- 35cm long
2. Chinchillas are nocturnal animals.
3. Chinchillas are very sensitive to heat; they are used to living in temperatures around 15 degrees
4. The teeth of a chinchilla never stop growing; they gnaw to keep their teeth trimmed.
5. When the animal feels threatened it will shed large clumps of fur. This is a defence mechanism which helps the animal escape from a predator.
6. Despite the chinchilla’s large eyes, they have fairly poor eyesight
7. They are native to South America (Andes Mountains)
8. As Chinchillas are known for living in high altitudes their fur is so dense to help them cope living in the cold location.
9. Typically, chinchillas come in a variety of colours. Grey, beige, black and white
10. Chinchilla fur is hypoallergenic
11. Chinchillas are very agile animals; they can jump up to 6 foot.
12. The animals’ average life expectancy is around 16 years
13. In the wild chinchillas were nearly hunted to extinction, natives would hunt the animal for their fur.
14. Chinchillas are omnivores; they will eat meat and vegetation
15. Chinchillas clean themselves by having dust baths.
16. Reptile Roadshow has 2 Chinchillas
Reptile Roadshow celebrates going strong for 16 years. We hope you enjoyed this animal profile. This reptile is just one of many you can see at Reptile Roadshow events.
Make sure you checkout the other animal profiles on our blog.